Grant and DeanBiography Gallery
Team Name: El Toro
Helmsman: Grant Alderson
Crewmate: Dean McAullay
Class: Flying Fifteen
Grant's favourite item of Gill Kit: Race Sailing Shorts
Dean's favourite item of Gill Kit: Softshell Jacket
Grant and Dean have been sailing Flying Fifteens together for over 10 years. Grant has been sailing in the class since the late 1980's winning 11 state and 8 national titles. He has been sailing for over 30 years and has competed successfully in match racing, ocean racing and other one design classes such as Etchells and Finns.
After winning the 2009 World Championships, Grant and Dean competed in the following World Championship regatta at Hayling Island in July 2011. After a tough, predominantly light air event the pair were unsuccessful in their title defence finishing 8th overall. They were the leading overseas crew and finished the event in style, winning the last heat. They are looking forward to the next World Championship regatta in Hong Kong in late 2013.
Grant has been appointed as the coach of the Australian Paralympic Sonar team and will be guiding the crew in their quest for a gold medal at the Paralympic sailing event to be held in Weymouth in 2012.
Whilst Grant has been working with his Sonar team, Dean has been sailing the Flying 15 with Adele Jackson. They competed in the Austalian Championships in Perth during January 2012 where they finished 4th overall. They were the first placed Australian crew with the podium placings going to the visiting GBR crews. Adele and Dean won two heats, a feat matched only by the eventual regatta winner.
Grant and Dean did manage to sail together during the season 2011/2012 summer season albeit briefly. They contested the Western Australian State Championships which they won on a count back after a nail biting come from behind finish in the last race.
- 2012, Western Australian Flying Fifteen State Championship, 1st
- 2011, Western Australian Flying Fifteen State Championship, 1st
- 2010, Western Australian Flying Fifteen State Championship, 1st
- 2009, Flying Fifteen World Championship, 1st
- 2009, Flying Fifteen Australian Championship, 1st
- 2008, Western Australian Flying Fifteen State Championship, 1st
- 2008, Flying Fifteen Australian Championship, 1st
2012 RACE CAMPAIGN
- January 2013, Flying Fifteen Australian Championship
- April 2013, WA State Flying Fifteen Championship
- 2013, Flying Fifteen World Championship in Hong Kong and lead up events